Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Week # 1 assignment for Amy G.

My Teaching Interests by Amy G.

I am currently trying to up date my skills after being an at home mom for over 16 years.  I taught briefly in California from 1988-1993 before moving to another state and staying home with my children.  I am very new to all technology.  In the teaching program I attended, we actually were taught how to run a movie projector and use a ditto machine.  (I feel very old)  I hope to learn a lot about how to use more modern technology to benefit my students.  I want to learn about resources for my future students that will interest them and help them to be more engaged.  I am especially interested in programs that will help students practice basic math skills and other math concepts, improve vocabulary/spelling, help students become proficient writers, and and resources that will help students with projects and research.  Some of the people in our class have mentioned Smart Boards and other interesting items.  I want to learn more about these things, but as the area I live in is rather poor, I probably won't see these types of things in any local classroom.

2 comments:

  1. I started teaching with film projectors also, but got a VCR part way through my first year. Crazy how things have changed. We have mixed access to updated technology, so I'm looking forward to finding tools, programs and applications that do many of things you mentioned. Just recently I discovered Noodle Tools, which lets students make notecards, bibliographies and outlines online easily. I had great luck getting 7th graders to do research and organize it. I'm really looking forward to learning stuff in this class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing beats the smell of a freshly run ditto!That brought back memories! My district doesn't have the funds either, but we raised money through a walk-a-thon and recently purchased ELMOs- it's a camera that projects on the screen, like an overhead but no need for transparancies. It's really nice for small pictures that you want the whole class to see. It's really great!

    ReplyDelete